Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions - wastewater

What do I do if sewage has been spilt on my property?
Printer-friendly version

If there has been a sewage spill onto your property already, this presents a health risk – please contact the Christchurch City Council Customer Call Centre on (03) 941 8999 for clean up assistance or 0800 800 169.

What do I do if my toilet and drainage is not functioning properly?
Printer-friendly version

If you are a property owner in a street receiving service, and your property's drainage or toilets are not functioning properly, contact an authorised drainlayer or plumber to assess what work is needed. We recommend that you make sure the city's sewer service is operating in your neighbourhood before you engage a plumber or drainlayer to check your own property's services.

How do I know if my wastewater system is working properly?
Printer-friendly version

You can test your sewer system by flushing a toilet or running a tap. Water should run freely through your drain – if it does not then a drainlayer may be required to unblock the pipes that connect to the sewer.

If you are outside the suburbs where chemical toilets and disposal tanks have been distributed and your toilet is flushing and draining away, you can use it sparingly. However, check that it isn’t draining onto you or your neighbour's property. If it is, contact a drainlayer.