Mount Pleasant / Redcliffs - Roading - storm water - water supply and wastewater repairs - Overview
- Repairing the earthquake damaged roads, and water systems.
- Starting early March until December 2016.
In this notice
- What we are doing
- Location of pipes and services in the road, footpath and berm
- What will the repairs involve?
- What our work will look like
- General Impacts
- Traffic Impacts
- SCIRT's scope of work is to rebuild earthquake damaged infrastructure
- General Information
- Need more information?
What we are doing
- Downer as part of SCIRT will be repairing the earthquake damaged roads, storm water, water supply and wastewater systems in parts of Mount Pleasant and Redcliffs, see Map 1. Work is planned to start early March and will take about ten months to finish, subject to favourable on-site and weather conditions.
- This work will involve repairing and/or replacing sections of the road, kerb and channel, storm water pipes, wastewater pipes, and the water supply pipes.
- We will be working on more than one street at a time, using different specialist crews. Working on multiple sites will allow us to finish the work sooner.
- We will be working in some privately owned properties. If this is your property, you will be consulted before work starts.
The funding for the SCIRT programme does not allow for new roads in all areas. SCIRT will fully rebuild some roads, partially rebuild others and in many cases roads will only be patched or resurfaced. Only roads that are severely damaged or are critical transport routes will be fully rebuilt.
Diagram 1. Location of pipes and services in the road, footpath and berm
What will the repairs involve?
- The first thing we do at each new location of work is to establish the site. This involves using radar to locate underground services (such as electricity and telephone cables as shown in Diagram 1), moving machinery and equipment to the site, setting up traffic management and putting up fencing where needed to designate the work area.
- Wastewater and storm water system repairs
- We will be replacing, lining or patching sections of the wastewater, water supply and storm water pipes. Many of these repairs will be carried out on private property. A member of the Downer communication team and an engineer will visit these properties before work starts to give more information and discuss a reinstatement plan.
- Road repairs
- This will involve restoration of damaged footpaths, and the replacement of kerb and channel.
- Please be aware that timeframes for work are subject to favourable weather and construction conditions.
What our work will look like
Open trenching for a segment replacement of pipe:
Before and after at a location where a water supply pipe was replaced and kerb and channel repair took place:
Diagram of pipe bursting. This is a trenchless method of replacing a damaged pipe.
Diagram of pipe lining:
Pipe lining is a way of repairing broken and cracked pipes that doesn't require the pipe to be dug up. A plastic epoxy liner is installed inside the existing broken pipe to strengthen it.
Repair works are a very noisy and dirty business. We apologise for the noise and mess that may be caused during our repairs. Our workers will be doing their best to minimise these impacts to your home/business and appreciate your cooperation and patience. Uneven surfaces will be created during these repairs. Our worksites will be clearly marked out. For your own safety please ensure children and family members stay away from our work sites and follow the directions of workers. If you require any assistance, then please speak with one of our friendly crews.
- Temporary road closures, lane reductions and detours will be part of this work. Our street specific work notices will detail traffic management and the impacts of our work. Please look out for these in your mailbox.
- There will always be two access routes maintained on and off the hill.
- Our work may affect vehicle access to your property for periods of time. If your access is affected, you will still be able to enter your property safely by foot or bicycle. You will be notified with a notice in your mailbox prior to work starting if your access is going to be affected.
- On-street parking will be reduced around the worksites. No-parking cones will be used. Please do not park next to the no-parking cones or work will be delayed.
- Please be aware of changes in traffic management, follow signage on-site and drive to the changed conditions.
- Traffic signs and road cones are essential in keeping the public safe, and to provide a safe workplace for our crews.
If you would like to receive updates by email on the work being carried out by Downer in Mt Pleasant and Redcliffs, please email:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'port hills contact' followed by your name, address and phone number.
For the location of road closures and major traffic impacts refer to: Transport for Christchurch.
For information on bus services refer to: Metro
SCIRT's scope of work is to rebuild earthquake damaged infrastructure.
SCIRT's allocated work programme will be completed by December 2016, however this is not the end of the rebuild programme. After this, Council and the Transport Agency will continue to repair and rebuild the remaining damaged infrastructure. The Council's Long Term Plan incorporates an extensive Council-led multi-million dollar recovery programme that continues the work for 30 years.
We are 86% through the SCIRT programme.
- Please contact Downer on 0800 400 310 if you have any specific access requirements that we need to consider e.g. large vehicle deliveries, rubbish collection, or planned works on your property.
- Our standard work hours are Monday to Friday between the hours of 7.00am and 6.00pm. On occasions we may have to work on a Saturday to complete essential work.
- There will be increased noise, dust and vibration levels associated with this work.
- Works will have no planned impact on current power, telecommunication, water or gas services. However, the network is still fragile so please be prepared in case there is an unexpected service cut off.
Need more information?
- Call Downer on:
- 0800 400 310 between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday
- Email Downer:
- Visit the SCIRT website: