Home › Sutton Quay - Lyttelton - retaining wall repairs
Sutton Quay - Lyttelton - retaining wall repairs
- Repairs to the earthquake damaged heritage retaining wall
- Sutton Quay, Lyttelton
- From August until December
Where we are working
How we will fix the wall
- A ramp has been installed to sit the drill rig on.
- Stonemasons will deconstruct the heritage parapet wall.
- Soil nails will be installed. This involves drilling and grouting a series of fibreglass bars into the soil or rock behind the retaining wall. The nails help strengthen the wall.
- Dual layers of shotcrete will be applied. Shotcrete is a mixture of cement, aggregate, and water conveyed by compressed air to a spray gun.
- Stonemasons will rebuild the heritage parapet wall.
How we install soil nails
- A drill rig will drill a hole into the soil behind the wall:
- The soil nail will be installed in the drilled hole and grouted:
- After the grout has cured, the soil nail can be tested:
The ramp below the heritage retaining wall to install the top row of anchors:
Heritage parapet wall to be carefully deconstructed and rebuilt with the help of stonemasons:
Photographs from similar work
A drill rig:
Anchors and shotcrete:
Need more information?
- Call Fulton Hogan on:
- 0800 277 34 34 (8.30am–5.00pm Monday–Friday)
- Email Fulton Hogan:
- [email protected]
- Visit the SCIRT website: